In the Midst of Busy Times

Boy, has this summer flown by fast! Between work, Bible studies, church, and projects at home, it seems like I've hardly had time to sit down and work on a post or just write.
I've also been throwing around ideas in my head for starting an Etsy shop, but I'm not so sure about all the details yet! I think for now I'll focus on this one thing and see where it goes.
This summer, I'm involved in three different Bibles studies-which is kind of a lot for at the same time-but it is cool to see how they are all overlapping in certain areas. Given that two of them are from the same author, it might not be super surprising, but it is still interesting. We are currently doing gods at war by Kyle Idleman as a mixed small group with college-aged kids. I have gone through this one before-twice, actually-but it is a very good study that makes some very good points and confronts some tough issues.
The other two studies are both by Lysa TerKeurst: Made to Crave and The Best Yes. I am enjoying both of these studies, as they involve things that are so relevant in everyday life. Made to Crave is a very good study that relates our physical cravings to our spiritual cravings. The subtitle of the book is "Satisfying your deepest desire with God, not food." Lysa TerKeurst brings up some very good questions that help examine why we turn to food rather than God when we are stressed, bored, etc. It is a very challenging study that I am enjoying going through with my mom and sister. 
The other study by Lysa TerKeurst, The Best Yes, is also very good. Re-examining our priorities is the main thought of this study. It is so relevant in today's crazy-busy, people-pleasing mindset. We are doing this study as a small group of friends and mentors.
In all these studies, I find that although they do use Scripture as the supplement, and sometimes as the base idea, they do not study the Bible as thoroughly as I would like. So in addition to these studies, which are all good and based on biblical principles/reasoning, I like reading the Bible and studying it on my own. I have found some points that I missed before, just by reading it and pondering the passage! It is so much fun to discover "new" tidbits that have actually been there for a long time! 
I just want to encourage you, wherever you are and whatever you're doing, to take the time to sit down and read your Bible. Even if you only have five minutes a day (or even less, for that matter!), use that time to dig into God's Word and be encouraged by what He has to say. Maybe He will challenge you in some way, maybe He will encourage your heart after a tough day, maybe He will simply show you how much He loves you. But take the time to let Him do that! 

Comments

Popular Posts