Treasures

      Lately, my mom and I have been doing some late "spring" cleaning. Going through stuff, getting rid of stuff, just plain cleaning the house. The list goes on! :) Material things. We keep getting through more and more things, deciding what to keep or what to pass on.  Stuff. Most people I know have houses and garages full of stuff. We sometimes get so much stuff that we can't function or properly use what we do have! Stuff isn't a bad thing, but when it becomes all that we have, or all that we ever think about, it is! 
      It's kind of like our hearts. We accumulate so much "stuff" in our hearts that there is no room for God. We can't properly serve Him because all of the "stuff" hinders His plan for us. For me, regularly "cleaning" my heart is a necessity. But I can't do it without His help! I have to ask God to put my focus back completely on Him, and not on the things of this world. Music, friends, family, even food sometimes! Anything that I have ever put before God in my heart is what counts as "stuff."  
       We need to focus on storing up treasures in heaven, and serving our Lord first and foremost. In Matthew 6:19-21, the Bible says "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where most and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
       So as we clean the house, getting rid of stuff we don't need anymore and organizing the things we still use, I am challenged to do a cleaning on my heart, and get rid of the stuff I put before God, and that I never did need more than I needed Him. Instead, I need to focus on doing what God wants me to do, like loving others and being a humble servant. 


Blessings,

Comments

Popular Posts